Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Murder of the Newton Fire Department: Part 3

After finishing the tour of the deplorable conditions at Fire Station #7, I sat down with the firefighters to further discuss their needs. It was important to understand the history of the situation, and it was disturbing that Newton residents, who demand the very best in the way of education and other services, would allow their first responders to be subjected to such unacceptable working conditions.

After taking seats around the kitchen table, more firefighters came to join the discussion. One by one, they began to contribute their experiences – a laundry list of broken equipment, failing apparatus and dispatch failures. Many were purchasing their own flashlights and PASS alarms because the equipment issued by the City was either broken or unreliable.

As the interview continued, anger and frustration poured out about mandatory doctor's notes, alleged sick leave abuse, three years of working without a contract, and a mayor who continued to hold a grudge over a ride in a fire engine.

Finally, I asked: "Who fights for you? Where's your chief?"

Silence. They shrugged. Through my experience with the FDNY, I knew that these firefighters would not go against protocol and speak badly of their officer to any outsider. I pushed a bit more. "Isn't it the job of your chief to fight for his fire department?"

Again, silence. Moving away from this line of questioning, I explained to them that the most I could do for them would be to write a letter to the local newspaper. If residents could understand that firefighter safety directly affected their own, they would surely call upon their elected officials to do something.

The levels of stress and anger I had just witnessed were certainly upsetting. I had a sense that someone wanted these firefighters to suffer. The cumulative effect of these negative experiences spoke of a problem that was more by design than neglect.

I wrote the letter to the paper, noting the failing equipment and deplorable conditions I had seen. At the end, one question remained. "What political agenda does this address?" I hoped the residents of Newton would care enough about their own safety to get involved.

As for me, I was relieved to be done. I work in the healing arts; I help people get well, and to achieve peace and harmony in their lives. This was a political mess. I hate politics, but I hate confrontation even more, so was determined not to get involved in this.

Then, an article came out in the Boston Globe that did everything to change my mind.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment